Sunday, November 15, 2015

Marin & the Murder of Mielers. Alternate title: You Complete Me.

Last week Marin seemed to decide it was time to work on breaking free, so it was not a surprise when Friday we got the call that she would likely join us the following day. To this emotional mother the day seemed both like the end of an era and the start of our next amazing adventure, so I asked Andy how he would feel about gathering the whole family for the big event. After some good natured eye rolling, Andy agreed that getting three babies changed, dressed, fed, loaded into carseats, moved to the van, driven to the parking garage, unloaded from the van, carried in carseats across the skyway and up three floors to the NICU, then reversing the process with four babies seemed like a great idea, so the next morning we were off to pick up our baby girl.


One of the most special parts of the day was that our primary nurses, Samantha and Jen, were there to say goodbye. Jen was not even working, but drove the twenty miles over from her town to see the quads again.  If you have been through the NICU experience, you know exactly how we feel about these ladies. If not, perhaps I can paint the picture for you. When the babies were newly born and so tiny and fragile, the machines monitoring their heart rate, oxygen, and breathing rate caused a constant chorus of beeps and alarms through their area of the NICU. For new parents, unfamiliar with either the alarms or the accompanying colored lights, the reassurance of the nurses was an enormous comfort. The hospital gave each baby a little book for their milestones, and Jen was meticulous about recording each new achievement and pasting them to the books. Our wonderful first month footprint cards were a lovely and unsolicited gift from Sam. I can't imagine how many hours I passed in our little corner of the world rocking babies as I talked to these amazing ladies about nothing, and everything. There came in point in our stay when it seemed that the boys were making such amazing progress and Marin, to my eyes, was taking only steps back. As I stood near tears next to Marin's isolette, Sam came to my side, and, as if reading my mind, told me how wonderful Marin was doing, that it was only that the boys were doing so much better than expected that made Marin seem slower by comparison. What had been a moment of despair had quickly been turned to a moment of joy and pride by the kind and timely words.  As time passed and the boys began to come home, with each new baby at home I was able to spend less time at the NICU with the remaining babies. By the time only Marin was left, my time with her was an hour or less per day. I don't know how I would have gotten through those last couple weeks without the comfort of knowing that Marin was under the care of people who knew her and cared for her. We will never forget Sam and Jen or the contribution they made to the early days of our family.


That night we had planned to attend a small family get together, a chance we wouldn't likely have again until after flu and RSV seasons have passed in the spring. Though it had been only a few short hours since Marin had come home, we decided not only to keep the date, but to surprise the family with Marin. Andy had left for a couple hours to run a couple errands, but planned to back in plenty of time to help me with changing, feeding, dressing and getting the babies into their carseats and van. Unfortunately, Andy got delayed and I was on my own for the first ever foursome feeding. As you might imagine, it was not smooth. I had fed the boys on my own many times, however the whole group naturally chose my first solo feed and the first time we were trying to get out the door at a specific time for their first epic group meltdown. There was screaming, squirming, squeaking, squawking, and a variety of projectile fluids as I tried desperately to get them ready for my mom's house, and hopefully clean!

Thanks to my sister, who insists she did not go "a little crazy" shopping at Carter's, we had plenty of cute outfits from which to choose.
And wonder of wonders, we arrived safe and sound, clean and fresh, and only thirty minutes behind schedule. I handed off the three boys, covered in their carseats, to family, and was delighted by the shouts of joy and excitement as I pulled the unexpected fourth seat out. Hubs joined the party shortly after and we had a fabulous evening enjoying Uncle Dave's legendary fried fish and homemade coleslaw. The babies were a hit and we enjoyed many proud parent moments as everyone exclaimed over and over how wonderful they were. I couldn't agree more.

Grandma's first group hug!

Grandma snuggling with Roland.

My lovely cousins, Megan and Laura, enjoying time with Micah and Becker. Laura and Micah were inseperable most of the evening. 
Aunt Jayne hadn't seen the babies since her visit to the NICU over a month ago. They've changed so much since then.

Uncle Dave was pretty smitten.

Marin was wiped out from all the excitement.

Buddies.
Having four babies at home has been a challenge at times, but accompanied by so much joy. Filling the fourth crib felt absolutely amazing and I could't be happier to have the whole group together at last. I think Marin feels the same way.

The new Packer hats are courtesy of Grandma Le Blanc's hairdresser in Green Bay. The timing was great as they had just outgrown their first Packer hats. Sadly, the team spirit from this Pack has not helped the Pack win the last three weeks.

It warms my heart to see them all together. They love their group snuggles. From bottom: Micah, Marin, Becker and Roland.

Until next time,

Andy & Jen
Micah, Becker, Roland & Marin


1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love reading your updates Jen! And I know exactly what you mean about NICU. Jacob was there for only 7 days when he was born a premie (over 17 years ago now!) and the ladies who took care of him were angels! I still have so much respect and thankfulness for them after all these years!

    ReplyDelete