Tuesday, August 11, 2015

The Q & A Rides Again!

How are you feeling?

This is the question I get more than any other. Truthfully, I think I'm doing pretty well, though being my first pregnancy I have nothing to compare this to. So far my blood pressure has remained normal to slightly low, my weight gain has been steady and my energy has been good considering what my body is going through. I think my biggest setback has been my giant foot! More about the giant foot in my next post.

Will you go on bed rest?

Hopefully not! Doc J says that recent studies do not support the argument for bed rest in most cases. He continues to encourage me to listen to my body. On the "listen to my body plan", my day may be relatively active, very sedentary, or anywhere in between depending on how I feel that day. It has been working well so far!

Can you tell the kicks apart?

Mostly yes. I'll give you the rundown in A, B, C, D order. Micah is sitting very low and has very little space. He is literally under a pile of babies. Because of his position, when I do feel him kick it feels very different from the others, more pain then thump. Becker is running straight up the center of my belly. He feels a little muffled since his placenta is in front and acts like a barrier. The doctor described it as Bex kicking me through a pillow. Roland is crazy active! I wonder if this baby will ever sleep when he comes out, because he sure doesn't seem to now. Little Lando's kicks are often visible on the surface of my belly, tiny pops dancing on my skin.  Last, I mentioned earlier that Marin is hogging my entire left side, so my far left kicks are pretty clearly hers. She is moderately active. I feel her daily, but usually only a few times per day. In general, Roland is the wild child so far!

When will the babies come home?

Regardless of whether the babies are born this week or in six weeks (goal), they should come home in November, probably very close to their 40 week due date of November 22.

Who can see the babies at home?

Preemies are at a high risk for RSV in Michigan from November to April. Because of this their visits will be pretty restricted. We've been told that they should largely be staying at home except for doctor's appointments. As for visitors to the house, only those who have had both their flu and whooping cough vaccines, along with proof of the vaccines, will be able to visit. It's a bummer to not be able to show them off to absolutely everyone, but we have to be so very careful to keep them healthy this winter so they'll be ready for their Grand Entrance to Grand Rapids society next spring.

What can we do to help?

First and foremost, please keep up the prayers. I promise we can feel them and see the results. Aside from that our biggest need will be for easy meals we can take from freezer to oven as soon we will be very busy running back and forth from the NICU daily, and then busy trying to get into a routine with four babies at home as first time parents. We will have a chest freezer for the basement soon and will begin to work on getting it stocked.

Do you have a registry?

I hesitate to put this one up, but many of you have asked. We have already been incredibly blessed by the generosity of family and friends and as always, what we covet most are your prayers. But since you have asked, here it is.

Jen & Andy's Registry

And last but not least, the question I get that cracks me up the most.  Four times now we have told someone about the quads and their question has been,

"There are four in there right now?"

My sarcastic side wants to say, "no, not right now. We're going to put them in there one at a time, over time".  My polite side has won out so far, and I smile, pat my belly and say, "all four, right now".

Until next time, love and blessings,

Jen


No comments:

Post a Comment