Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Challenge Accepted!

My multiples book puts a lot of focus on weight and calories during pregnancy. For someone who began pregnancy at an average weight, the weight gain recommendation is 70-80 pounds, with at least 45 of those pounds gained during the first 20 weeks. Since I am up only 16 pounds through 16 weeks, I am a bit behind the goal. My doctor, however, says this book must be taken with a grain of salt as it was written by a nutritionist rather than a Perinatologist. He is not concerned about the weight gain as long as the babies are growing appropriately.

The calorie recommendation from the book (are you sitting down?) is 4,500 calories per day! You guys, I LOVE to eat. In some circles my appetite is legendary. I rarely leave food on my plate. For me, that feeling of fullness when eating is when things are just starting to get good, rather than a sign to stop eating. However, this is a lot of calories, even for me! Thankfully, every year at about this time, my beloved Grand Rapids sends a food bonanza our way. It was particularly timely this year.

Among the many fabulous things to do all year in the 616, Festival of the Arts is my favorite. It is the largest all volunteer arts festival in the country and has been going strong for 46 years! The festival features art exhibits, hands on art for kids, craft shows and art competitions.

The Festival centers around the main stage at the Calder, however there are six additional stages scattered throughout, featuring music, plays, dance, story telling, and performance art.



More importantly though, it is a sea of food! The booths are all run by local churches and non-profits, and for many, Festival is their primary fundraiser for the year. What better place to pack in a quick 4,500?

Everyone cooks on-site, so the smells are absolutely amazing!



In the past I have very carefully reviewed the program to be very sure of what I wanted to eat. This year however, I had license to eat it all so I threw caution to the wind and dove right in with a chicken on a skewer and egg roll from the Our Lady of LaVang booth.



Next, on to the Chinese Association of West Michigan for Cream Cheese Rangoon.


And it wouldn't be Festival without a giant cone of Hudsonville mint chocolate chip ice cream from Georgetown United Methodist Church!


Last, and my absolute favorite discovery this year was the Gourmet Apple Grilled Cheese with chips from Journey of Faith. It was amazing! I've never thought to put apple on a grilled cheese before, but I think I'll be doing it in the future.


I did skip the Elephant Ears from the Northview Athletic Boosters, usually a must-eat, however this was only because I ate an Elephant Ear the size of my head at the Whitecaps game the night before!

Another great year at Festival, and so fun to eat guilt-free!


If you want to keep up with us, just pop your email address in the box to the right. You'll receive an email every time we update!








No comments:

Post a Comment