Monday, May 11, 2015

Isn't God Amazing? Part 2

When we got home I texted my small group leader and asked her whether she had time to meet that night. We made plans immediately and a couple hours later I sat in front of her, tearfully pouring out my heart. She asked whether I wanted her only to listen or if I wanted to know what she thought. I told her that I absolutely wanted to know what she thought. She said to me simply "God alone is the author of life and death". What a powerful and true statement.

I didn't believe it was an accident that a Christian doctor had been placed in our lives at such a challenging time. And now my friend's lovely and true words brought me home the rest of the way.

God continued to place kind and life-affirming people in my path. One pointed me to a verse I have read regularly since.

Psalm 139:13-16 (This translation is from The Message, 
which my friend Jeff lovingly refers to as the "Hey Dude" translation)

Oh yes, you shaped me first inside, then out. 
You formed me in my mother's womb. I thank you God; you're breathtaking! 
Body and soul, I'm marvelously made! I worship in adoration- what a creation! 
You know me inside and out, you know every bone in my body. 
You know exactly how I was made, bit by bit, how I was sculpted from nothing into something. 
Like an open book, you watched me grow from conception to birth; all the stages of my life were spread out before you, the days of my life all prepared before I lived even one day!

What a lovely reminder that I am not in control, that I am only here to play my part, that God has it all in His loving hands.

Deuteronomy 33:27 (ESV)
The eternal god is your dwelling place, and underneath are the everlasting arms.

Isn't God amazing?


No comments:

Post a Comment