Monday, May 11, 2015

The "R" Word (but it's really the "A" word)

So we found this word creeping into our days. Reduction. It sounded so safe, so clinical. Abortion. That darn word kept creeping in too. No matter how I willed it away, it kept popping back up. Abortion.

I found it interesting to know that something very black and white to me became covered in grey once I found myself in a high risk pregnancy. Weeks before I would have told you that there was no situation in which I would have considered abortion, yet over these days, I found myself almost daydreaming about it.

A syringe is injected through the abdomen, guided by ultrasound, into the baby's heart. If all babies are equal from a medical standpoint, they choose the baby or babies that are closest to the surface to "reduce".  So it's really just the luck of the draw, who lives who dies.

It was an emotionally devastating option to consider. Every time I told myself it was wrong and I could never do it, the thought of four severely handicapped babies came into my mind. Or worse, preterm labor, delivering too early and losing all four.

Wouldn't it be better to sacrifice one for the good of the rest? I nearly had myself convinced, but as He often does, God had other plans.

No comments:

Post a Comment