Tuesday, May 19, 2015

My name is Jen and I'm a control freak.


For most of you, it will not come as a surprise to hear me acknowledge that I am a bit of a control freak. The bulk of my career has been in sales, thus I am very comfortable taking control of a situation to achieve a desired result. I am also very organized and thrive on rules. I tend towards the black and white, which does not always serve me well. 

With this pregnancy, however, I was fully anticipating my control, organization, and rule drivenness (I had no idea that "drivenness" was a word, but spell check seems to like it) would all serve to work in my favor.

Since I knew early on that we were going through with this pregnancy, the next step was just how to do it successfully. Armed with pen and notebook, I set out to learn all I could, making note of some of the issues others seemed to encounter along the way and strategizing how they would not be a part of my pregnancy. As I researched, I wrote down all my questions for the doctor.

Here's a sampling of what I covered with him.

- What diet should I be following for optimal birth weight?

- Is there anything about me physically that presents risks or leads you to believe I may be unsuccessful in carrying these babies?

- Anything that works in my favor?

- Is there a ratio of activity to rest that I should aim for to prevent preterm labor?

- What can I do to keep the babies from suffering birth defects?

- What can I do to insure that I don't deliver before 30 weeks?

You guys, it went on and on. Questions about the hospital, the doctor's experience with multiples, bed rest; you name it, I had it covered! I couldn't wait to hear the regimen that he would prescribe, and which I would follow to the letter.

And after all my research and carefully crafted questions, his answer was deeply unsatisfying to put it mildly.

"There is no magic formula. Listen to your body. When you are tired, rest. When you are hungry, eat. Pray. Ask for prayer. Know that the result is out of our hands." - Dr. J

So as usual, after much kicking and screaming and internal tantrums, I am learning again to surrender.

Repeat after me.

Exodus 14:14 (NIV)
The LORD will fight for you. You need only be still.



7 comments:

  1. Thank you so much, Jen, for putting together your blog. I wait with anticipation for each addition. You make me laugh and cry at the same time. You are so brave, and I love your awesome attitude. So glad you met Becky. I'll bet she and her family will be your life-long friends! I am aware of a woman who had quads many years ago. The babies would be all grown up now, and I'm going to do some digging to get any info on the family. All I know right now is that she and her husband were m, embers at Cascade Hills where I worked for many years. I'll let you know what I find out. I would think it would be fun to talk with someone with older quads. Praying for you daily. Much love, Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be following your journey, Jen. Many prayers for you and your family. So glad you reached out! Thanks for the invitation to your blog. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen! I am feeling very emotional after reading your amazing blog. First of all - WOW!!! I am beyond happy for you and Andy and those precious angels growing in your belly! I love to pray and I love babies and I love you - so this is perfect for me - a gift I can give to my friend! I am so blessed and honored that you shared this with me and I cannot wait to read about your journey. You are faithful, you are loved and you are treasured! Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are so incredibly excited for you guys!!! What a wild ride you are going on! Lots of prayer and love from the Lowell's! Thanks for sharing your journey, can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I am so happy for you, my friend!!! I was laughing and crying as I read about your journey, thus far. I must say, I laughed a little too hard when your doctor said, "When you are hungry, eat"...... Does he know who he's talking too?? THAT will certainly not be a problem, I thought. God has provided those 4 lucky babies with the perfect parents, in the perfect environment, at the perfect time. Let HIM fight for you as you continue down this path. Be still, my friend. I am praying for you ALL and I love you very much!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your point of view on this, any high risk pregnancy comes with so many unknowns and you cant anticipate anything. Hand it over to God, who better to be in charge of our babies?

    ReplyDelete
  7. We really appreciate your sharing your "life-changing" experience with us Jen and Andy. Tears and laughin' while I read this to Mike. xo

    ReplyDelete